Another week passed by of my Google Summer of Code 2016 project. My goal for this summer is to create a revamped user interface for the module called Translation Management Tool, with many new features that will simplify the translation process for both, end-users and translators. I divided my goals into two parts:
As we already passed the midterm evaluation, half of the project is already done in the previous weeks. I moved to the second part of my project this week. More details about my work is described below.
Other than refactoring and fixing smaller issues, I started working on the new plugin for displaying the masked HTML tags inside the segments. The purpose of masking the tags is to help us understand the translating text’s structure better and cleanly show which opening/closing
tags are missing inside a segment. Firstly, I extended the dummy translatable node in the
with a masked
<b> tag that looks like this:
<tmgmt-tag tag=”<b>”>text inside a masked tag</tmgmt-tag tag="</b>">
Once I had a tag to work on, I created a simple plugin that just displays some arrows instead of the opening and closing of the masked tags. It is fully dependent on the plugin that is displaying the segments, which means it is only enabled and available to toggle when the segments are shown, and disabled otherwise.
For the next steps, we should discuss about the attributes of the masked tags. We should for sure preserve them throughout the translation process. In the example of alt and title tags that would possibly need translation, we could have them hidden and display them on mouse hover, so that the user is aware of them being present.
The plan for next week is to continue on developing a valid definition of tags and extending it’s functionality by handling data attributes properly.
Feel free to check my Github repository for being updated on the constant progress during my weeks.